This is a question that is plaguing millions of business owners who see the need to tap into the craze that is the social web. Often this is a more daunting task than it seems at first. Twitter alone loses most of potential users within the first month of sign up.
Because of the steep learning curve many businesses are look at social media as a daunting task that is rivaled only by scaling Mt. Everest. It doesn’t have to be this way. Social Media, done right and with the right instruction can not online increase a company’s revenue, but build a report with their clients that they could only have dreamed about less than a decade ago.
Now the question remains, if a company wants to get the full potential out of social media, but is largely unsuccessful at it, where do they find a social media consultant that is right for the job.
I can name two places. One place where not to look and the other place to look. Don’t look in the yellow pages… do look on social media and/or in Google.
Now once you have a list of “Social Media Experts,” you now have to vet them. Here’s some qualities you need to look for when hiring a social media consultant.
- They need to be active in the social media space. They should have at least a Twitter, Facebook and a Linkedin page fully setup.
- They should not only have a profile on these sites, they must also be active users and should be able to clearly show you how their relationships on these sites have grown and flourished. (Example: Amount of followers on Twitter).
- They should have clear defined goals set for themselves. If they don’t, how can they set goals for you.
- They should be aware of the power of blogging and should have a self-hosted blog of their own, not hosted on a shared server (Blogger, WordPress.com).
- They should either know how to setup, or know someone who can setup a self-hosted site.
- They should understand the power of blogging and how it relates to social media.
- They should know what plugins should be used to boost your ranking in the search engines as well as increase interactivity with you readers.
- They should push you to develop your custom brand.
These are just some things to look for when bringing on a social media consultant. I’d like to hear what you think. Post your comments below.